All or Nothing!

All or Nothing!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

San Juan 70.3

On the way to San Juan! Was an early morning wake up call, but its not so bad when you have a race that you've been working so long and hard for waiting for you in the next couple days. And to make it even better in a location like San Juan! Departing at 7am Ottawa time and arriving at 2pm local time will make for a good but long travel day.  Was able to pack my bike nice and tight in my new Biknd Helium bike case/bag. Lets see if it gets there in one piece!
Early morning wake up call came quick even though I'm used to waking up at 4:16 every morning. I know, why 16 and not 16! Just the way I am and I really don't know. Had a pick up from my support crew to the airport checked in no problem minus the ridiculous over priced charge for the bike. Note to self check bike fees before booking. Guess the last couple of flights I've had I was lucky with the fees. Just sitting in the lounge right now waiting to board and touch down in Philly then San Juan. Listen to deadmau5 and for some reason I always think of my buddy Dave H and Urs screening its too loud!

So I made it to SJ and I was lucky enough to have MP pick me up at the airport. Got to the hotel and dropped off my bike and suitcase and ran to subway. All I can say is I love the price at subway here.  $2.14 for a roasted chicken! Got back in the room and bike assembly time. Everything was good and then went out for a run on the course. Not as flat as I was lead to believe. Such a beautiful run though. Along the ocean the whole way and into the town where its Latin American culture and architect. Very cool!
Then the best part of the day, on my way down for dinner I meet Guillaume Romain in the elevator and we chat for a bit. He then asks if I want to join him for dinner! Sure Ill have dinner with 70.3 and IM Tremblant champ! Very cool dude and we had some good discussions. Going to be swimming with him on Friday. I think he really enjoyed speaking to a Frenchman!
Lights out at 8, exhausted!

Friday
Woke up just after 6 and made my way to Starbucks for my morning coffee. Got my regular breaky in, PB on a plain bagel. Heading out on the bike course for an easy 45min. Wish I could speak and read Spanish cause I got major lost! Oh well still got the time in and was feeling great. Legs are good and the bike is running smooth, and also getting lots of looks!  Heading out for a quick swim with my new pal then going to shut it down for most of the day. That's the hard part of racing. So much going on with the expo, athletes, pros, you just always feel like you have to do something but the best you can do is relax. Easier said than done!
Went for a swim with Guillaume and he brought a couple of the European boys with him too. Man, those guys can swim. And this was an easy swim for them. Swimming in the ocean is something different, especially for this lake goer! Love the salt water though!swim course is excellent, blue waters!  Finished the day off with a run then went for dinner with my new best buddy ROM!  Very cool talking with him and learning all the small things that can make such a difference.  Michael Lovato just happened to be sitting beside us!

Saturday
My regular pre race days consist of an easy swim/bike/run.  Started it off with an easy swim in the Lagoon with MP, then a short bike on the race course and run to finish off the day of prep before 10am.  From there, legs up and relax!  Kept very quiet that day and stayed on my own most of the day, just the way i like it.  Im not so social those days!  Went to check my bike in at 5 in transition which was right beside the hotel, then headed over for my pre-race pizza.  It was so good!  Went to bed not long after to think about the race and get ready!

RACE DAY!
Early wake up, got my starbucks right at the hotel, bagel with peanut butter around 2.5hrs before race start.  Made my way to transition to do the final preps.  Gels, air in tires, helmet, shoes.... talk to my bike!  Then made it back to the hotel until it was closer to race start.  Headed over to swim start 20min prior and got in the zone.  Did a small warm-up and it was time to start treading water waiting for the gun to go off.  GO! and it was off, first 200m all out getting in position.  The bad thing of the day was being the last wave, meaning going through a lot of slow swimmers.  Oh well, take the bad with the good.  Swim was good and felt strong, battled some ocean waves the last 600m but made it out in 31min, 2min faster than my best time for a non-wetsuit swim.  Long run to transition and it was off on the flat bike course.
Bike was flat and fast, i dont think i got passed by 1 person but passed a lot!!  Was cruzing hard!  Wattage was a little higher then I wanted it.  For the last 20min i held off the gas a little to save the legs.  The bike was uneventful but the flat courses sure make you work as you dont have any breaks.  Love it that way, just like the trainer!  Heading into T2 with 1 guy in front of me in Age group and sitting good overall.
Started off the run feeling good.  Caught up with the women pro on their second loop.  Passed Leanda Cave and held her off the whole loop.  BUT i did start to feel like the heat was getting to me and getting to me quick.  First loop done now onto the second, and thats where the wheels fell off.  I just felt like i was overheating so much.  I was throwing down ice everywhere, front, back of shorts and I just couldn't cool off.  Had to walk aid stations to make sure i got enough fluids and ice but just couldnt battle the heat.  Second loop was a disaster but still finished the race.
Lesson learnt: need to training with more heat in the basement or get to races 2 weeks earlier!
Ended up as 6th amateur and 2nd in age group.  Not bad but not great.  Very happy with my swim bike  (31min, 2h16).  Take the good with the bad and learn from it!

That night was great, had dinner with Rom and a couple other friends.  Always fun to unwind after a long day.

San Juan was great and I cant thank John Santiago enough for helping me with the hotel.  He gave me one cool experience!!  I owe you buddy!  And also MP who showed me around old San Juan before leaving and finding a place where they have Mufango!  Love my food!

Again thanks to everyone who has helped me get here!

Next up Rev3 Knockville!

Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment